Monday, July 30, 2007

New England Vocab

Today I was working at a customer's plant in Webster, MA, which is right about where Rhode Island, Connecticut and Massachusetts meet. One of the guys there was pointing out where the facilities were and mentioned that the "bubbler" was around the corner. Now being from Ohio, Misty and I still laugh sometimes when we hear New England words or pronunciations. So I just had the notion to record some of the translations...
  • Bubbleh (in new england) = drinking fountain
  • Sneakehs = tennis shoes
  • Wicked = "very" (like "We had a wicked good time.")
  • Soda (or tonic) = pop (here's an interesting page...)
  • Meathead = usually a poor driver, but really could be an sort of idiot
  • Aunt (pronounced awe-nt, instead of like "ant" as in Ohio)
  • Jimmies = sprinkles (like on an ice cream sundae)
I'm sure there are more...

No comments: